Sunday, July 17, 2011

So fresh and so clean, clean!

I used to not be a fan of juices. Juice=fast source of sugars straight to the bloodstream. However, I figured out that you don’t really need a lot of sugary fruit to enjoy a great juice. Just use great tasting GREENS and VEGGIES.

This compelled me enough to purchase my own juicer because there’s no way in hell that I will pay Whole Foods or Daily Juice $6.50+ for a small cup of green juice.  I can buy all my ingredients organic and still make one for myself at home for around $1.00-1.50. This is my juicer.

This is my favorite basic recipe juice recipe

Laurie’s Power Juice

  • 1 peeled carrot
  • 1/2 large cucumber
  • 2-3 cups kale
  • 1/2 apple
  • large hunk of ginger
  • 1/2  lemon

Wash and cut up all the above and place into your juicer as the manual instructs. Makes approximately 14 oz juice depending on your machine.

As you can see, there is some sugar from the carrot and apple but not a whole lot. It seriously rocks my socks off too. It tastes incredible and I don’t know if it’s a placebo effect from all the juicing hype but I feel so energized! Even it’s its just an associated ‘high’, I’ll take it. I figure there are worse things I could be doing.

I look forward to experimenting with different greens and spices. Also, I love grossing Adam out with weird colored liquids and then making him try them. He usually is a convert  :)

I don’t drink this as a meal but use it as a snack or part of my lunch usually.

Cheers y’all!

2 comments:

Kat said...

I have to wonder why you would peel the carrot? Much of a fruit or vegetable's nutrition is in the skin, right? My least favorite thing about my juicer is cleaning it, ugh!

Lauren said...

I would recommend peeling the carrot if you didn't grow it yourself just because it would ensure anything on the outside doesn't get into your juice. I don't like cleaning it either! I usually throw the pulp out to my chicks though, so that helps :)